Thursday, July 13, 2006

Lost at the Aquarium

This is the underwater tunnel of the Ocean Voyager Exhibit. If you've been to the aquarium, you will see just how empty this space is. I think this was at about 8:30 a.m. We had the entire place to ourselves.

This week was Sarah's birthday. On her birthday, we woke up and hit the road at the crack of dawn.. We were the first to arrive at the Atlanta Aquarium. It is an incredible place. We were able to see everything at our leisure until about 11:00, when the crowds began to appear. We took a break for an early lunch and

BAM the place was packed. Wall to wall people. We squeezed through the two last exhibits and then headed to the Georgia Explorer exhibit, which is geared towards children with several petting pools, a playscape and a large slide.

One of the petting pools is located on a replica of a shrimp boat. There we stood trying to pet shrimp when I noticed Sophia was gone. I jumped off the platform, found an employee and said: "My three year old is missing." He immediately left his post and led us to another nearby employee who worked near the entrance to the playscape.

Then, I heard her, screaming her head off. Holding her hand was another Mommy who said: "I saw her crying and knew must be lost from her mommy." Sarah and I leaned down to give Sophia a hug. "I was worried, I'm glad you are okay." She pushed me away and wailed: "They won't let me in, I'm too small."

She was screaming, not because she was lost, but because she didn't meet the height requirement to enter the playscape. I couldn't help but chuckle. And Sarah did too.

At that moment, I realized how fast my girls are growing up. Now Sarah is 6, and is smart enough to have gotten the joke. And Sophie, TOO YOUNG to be wandering the aquarium on her own, but independent enough to have gone straight to the playscape.


We saw many interesting species today. Sarah's favorite was the whale shark. Sophie liked the hammerhead shark.

Me? I liked them all. But especially the California species -- the kelp bed, otters and sea lions.

I remember, as a teenager, floating on a surfboard off the California coast and waiting for the right wave to appear. We would watch the wildlife swim by. I suppose youth and the undeniable desire to catch the wave kept us in the water with goodness knows what creeping below. It was the same as Sophia's journey today, regardless of the danger, she just wanted to have a fun ride.

4 comments:

Deb Hardman said...

Your sea life center must be Really BIG! It must've been a frightening moment for you to not know where your little one was. We lost my youngest in a Mall once when he was supposed to be holding hands with his dad(my idiot eX). I paniced when I realized he'd lost him. After about 10 minutes of terror, one of the gals from my nursing school class came from the other end of the mall, carrying him. She had recognized him & picked him up. This was shortly after Adam Walch was last in Fla. & they only found a part of him.

Jules said...

My favorite is the Sea Dragons, which are near the Belugas. Ed loves the Belugas. Alex loves the sharks, all of them. Amy just wants to go swimming. Glad you had a good time. I need to go back, soon.

Glad you found Sophia. I did not realize there was a height limit on the playscape. It is a good thing there is!

The Lone Beader® said...

It is wonderful that you took the kids there. Children should have as many experiences where they can learn about nature, wildlife, and our Earth as possible. Afterall, they are the ones who will be left with the impossible task of saving it....

Deb Hardman said...

Thanks for the HW Longfellow quote. It's beautiful.