Saturday, November 11, 2006

Batik with the Bee















Finished piece and close up.




Friday the FiberArt Bee met at the studio of Fiber on a Whim. We played with hot wax. It was fun.

My primary form of fiber art back in the 70's was batik. I used to batik and dye in the basement of our house. The street was stained with a rainbow where I poured the dye out (of course I would NEVER do that now, but I was young and didn't think about the environmental impact).

It has been more than 20 years since I have picked up a tjanting. I had forgotten how satisfying it is to paint fabric with hot wax. Sharon was a true sport and brought me a pot of good old-fashioned beeswax and paraffin.

I batiked a piece of black fabric, came home and discharge dyed it, gave it a good soak in anti-chlor and then ironed it.

My husband will be hard at work this weekend setting me up a wax studio in the garage. Now I'm off to Dharma to order tjantings and wax.













After discharging and a soak in Anti-Chlor.

2 comments:

Jules said...

I want to come play in the wax studio! Can I stop by this week?

Anonymous said...

This brought back wonderful memories of us going to an art supply shop across the street from the San Gabriel Mission in California so you could buy supplies for your projects.