Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Mom, do I have to clean up my room?

I read Jules post today about her studio. She actually can let her children share it with her. Mine is a total wreck. I've been working since November on three pieces for the She Made Her Mark exhibit (I promise this is the last reference, unless I do a happy dance). Here is the result. My studio is a total disaster area -- I think Sharon calls it "creative chaos." Chaos schmaos, it's a wreck. At one point I was on my hands and knees, under the ironing board (with the iron on) trying to find a piece of fabric. Joel walked in and asked me what in the world I thought I was doing.

Ah, but I made it to Federal Express, the three entries are safely on their way to Thelma Smith, who is curating this exhibit. Did I mention it is the She Made Her Mark exhibit? ;)

Now off to the studio for a little, I mean alot, of cleaning and putting away.

This is the area next to my sewing machine.
I had to use the stepstool to reach stuff that is to the left, on top of my counter.

This would be under my ironing board (see the cord)?
This is where I was caught kneeling and trying to reach fabric.
It was just too much of a hassle to move my ironing board.
I think I had a piece of foam core on top of the ironing board
in order to work on a piece.
All my available table space was used up with supplies.


My fabric corner where I throw fabric after using or auditioning.
I actually enjoy cleaning up this corner because
I discover fabric I don't remember having.

My cutting table. ha ha ha.
I used the kitchen table for the last two pieces.

7 comments:

Sharon Serrano Ahmed said...

If I took pictures of my studio, I would have your's beat!!!
Love and Kisses, Sharon

Jules said...

Yes, but you have made stuff in your studio. I have yet to finish a piece in mine since it has been put together. We'll see how it is when I finish nursing mommy.

Heidi Miracle-McMahill said...

Rebecca,

Thanks so much for sharing your studio space. Mine (which is just the corner of our guest bedroom) stays just like this. I appreciate you letting us peek in. Just as my messy house (hopefully) puts other messy folk at ease, your studio pics do the same for me. :)

Heidi

laura said...

it's called "the first rule of horizontal surfaces".
since there's a name for it, it must be okay, right?
i think we should form a professional association to honor our participation in "the first rule'..

Anonymous said...

There are no answers, short of Laura's suggestion to form a professional association to honor our creative coverage of horizontal surfaces. But, other than maybe three times a year when the wild hair attacks and I put away stuff to clear a little horizontal surface, it is the place for auditioned fabric (that sparked the fuse for yet another project, thus must stay within sight), the place for recently acquired doodads and fabric (one must ogle and fondle new stuff to see what messages might come from its vibrations), and the place for must-do creations that plink up on the head every time we see them in their unfinished state. I'm one of those "out of sight, out of mind" people...it might look like chaos, but really, with a 10,000-foot perspective, it is order in the making. (smile)

Kay said...

I thoroughly enjoyed this. I don't see how anyone can keep a neat studio when they're in the middle of creating something. If you stop, you lose the flow. And if you're doing more than one project--totally hopeless! So hooray for you--and you'll probably actually enjoy the clean up. I always do.

Debbie said...

O MY!! You create like I do...make a mess then at some point get into cleaning it up so that you can discover things you forgot you had.

Keep up the great work