Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Possibilities

There are two possibilities for a lack of blog posts. Number one: Nothing is going on. Number two: So much is going on that one does not have time to post.

I am coping to number two. In the past month I've taken two Pamela Allen workshops, organized a special meeting of Fiber Art Fusion which featured a lecture from Pamela and a showing of her work, I went to the AQS Show in Nashville, and last weekend I participated in Fiber on a Whim's new "block of the month" which is called Clandestine bag of the month. We spent four hours in the studio working on our bags. Each month we make a new bag/purse. It was wonderful.

And for the past month, I have been pulling together pieces and artist statements for Fiber Art Fusion's upcoming exhibit at The Art Place at Mountain View. Today we hung the exhibit and I am very excited for the opening on Thursday night.

I have three pieces in the East Cobb Quilt Guild show and all three pieces needed work, so I have been "finishing." Why do we wait until our work is accepted to do the boring and tedious finishing work? Come on, you know you do it to!

And since pictures are worth a thousand words, here are some pictures of what's been going on around here.


Here are a few pictures of me, Carmen, Jan, Sharon and Heidi as we decided where each piece in the upcoming exhibit should go.



Sophie started pre-kindergarden. This is her last year of half day school.
"All right Mom, enough with the pictures" says Sophie.

This was my favorite quilt in the Guild Challenge at AQS in Nashville. It is of Harriet Tubman. I love the use of buttons. It makes me think of Aminah Robinson's work, which if you have never seen, check it out.

Ever wonder where Santa goes in August? Why to Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville, Tennessee. He said I was being nice (as opposed to naughty).
Here is Heidi test driving a Gammill. Heidi, Sharon and I tried all the long arm quilting machines in Nashville. But really, where would we put it? And how about a new car first? Or an addition to the house? A semester in college? Retirement?

This is Ziggy, our garden spider. She has built her web right next to the front door. A neighbor came by the other day and told me it a little early for Halloween decorations. But this is a beautiful spider, and look at that web! Today she has spun a large egg sac with its own protective web. From inside the house looking out you can see it. The girls enjoy looking at the web each day, seeing what she's eaten and now we're watching for those eggs to hatch. We're leaving this spider right where she is and watching her daily.

And now, back to the studio.


1 comment:

Jules said...

I love the pictures of you all hanging the show. The show looks incredible, by the way.

Can we borrow Sophie's dress when she is done with it? It is adorable. (Also, I want to borrow one of your girls when we get Amy's hair cut so she can get the same adorable cut!)