Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Young Artists At Work


What a whirlwind month. Recitals, school performances, holiday parties and gift preparations. Not to mention a deep cleaning for the house and holiday decorating. The month flew by. Yesterday morning I woke up and looked at the clock. 6:00 am. We told the girls they had to wait until 7:30 to wake us up. Darn. An hour and a half. I was eagerly awaiting their wake up squeals. At 6:45 I wondered why my girls were not up yet! Then at 7:00, only a half hour early, they came into our room and exclaimed: "It's time It's time! Let's see if Santa came."

Of course, Santa had come and left a passel of presents by the fireplace. Each girl went through their stocking and opened their Santa gifts. Then came the family gifts. I gave each girl a Hello Kitty sewing machine made by Janome. These are not the toy machines you see at major retailers. These are actual sewing machines, which make nice stitches and are easy to operate. The larger machine uses the feet and accessories from my Janome 6500. I was not expecting much from the girls. Perhaps a quick playing around with them, and then on to the toys they got for Christmas.

Well I was wrong. The girls sewed for hours. This morning, they woke up and near first thing wanted to sew again. Sarah is well on her way to finishing her first wall hanging. A scrappy strip pieced block with quilting lines throughout.

One of the greatest gifts of my lifetime is the time, instruction, and encouragement given to me by my mom and my aunt. I hope to pass those gifts on to my children.

2 comments:

Kate North said...

I hope Sarah will let you show her creation when it's finished :) I sewed with my Sarah today (a bit older - she's 10) and I know she'd like her own sewing machine - though probably not a hello kitty one. Actually, after seeing one at the Festival of Quilts this summer, what she wants is an embellisher!

Jules said...

I cannot wait to see what they create. Awesome!