Saturday, April 29, 2006

Fun with Fabric

It has been decades since I have dyed fabric. I remember as a young teen, my parents let me set up a wet studio in the basement. And they let me batik in the basement. I was recently searching through a box and found a large batik I made in 1979. The burn holes from the hot plate made me realize what incredible trust my parents had in me. And how encouraging they were of our pursuits.

A few weeks ago Sharon and I decided to play with discharge dyeing and Setacolors. The Setacolors were a bit disappointing, but it was pretty windy and I think we shall try again on a calmer day. The discharge dyeing was the best. I love it. We're going to do it again in a few weeks in the basement at Fiber on a Whim.




Last weekend, our small but faithful group Star of Heaven Quilters came over to my house for our meeting. I taught the ladies how to make mailable art. They were so excited, and they each completed one to take home. We started by making Spin Art on Fabric using DynaFlo. I misted one piece of fabric and the colors turned muddy. I might have liked a little more thickness to the Dyna Flo. Next time I think I'll add some leftover gel from the discharge dyeing to the Dyna Flo and see what happens. Then I made a few using acrylic paint with fabric medium, and Scribbles dimensional paints.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca-

I loved reading your blog...from one artist to another, your creativity is unmatched! What a fabulous inspiration you are to your daughters - and to me. Can't wait to read your updates.

Margie

Jules said...

I love your blog. What time on the 11th? It turns out, I have met Sharon. She is in Wool Club at Tiny Stitches with me. I love her bead work.