Wednesday, April 19, 2006

This is My Brain on Quilts

I have been sewing and quilting for nearly 20 years. This form of creativity was passed to me from my mother, and from my aunt, both who have been incredibly supportive and encouraging. I have lived all over the country, and in each place I've lived I have found a group of supportive artistic friends. Both my aunt and Mom live many states away, and I have searched to find the kind of creative environment I have found elsewhere.

In January I attended a workshop where I struggled for the entire day with the basic technique. My two tablemates, both art quilters, one of whom I knew quite well, watched me struggle without a word of encouragement, or a suggestion on how to succeed at the technique. By lunch, they had both finished the majority of their wall hanging, I had barely finished a square.

I went home that evening, discouraged and certain I should give up sewing and quilting altogether. "Nonsense" my adorable husband told me -- "do what you like to do, and forget what other people like to do." So I did. I made a portrait quilt of the teacher of our workshop, surrounded by the threads she was selling during the workshop. Instead of piecing the blocks, I FUSED my own version of them.


The next day I sat on the opposite side of the room, resolved to learn the next technique being taught. Thankfully a new group of art quilters surrounded me and my spirit was renewed as I overheard the light conversations and helpful tips and words of encouragement, and constructive critique. WOW.

Two months later, with my completed squares, I created a fantastic coat -- which I call "The Leopard Coat."



For a few months, I referred to myself as the "Leopard Coat Lady" when I called my two favorite local quilt shops. The owners laughed, they knew exactly who I was by that description.

At the workshop in January, one woman in particular had the kind of positive spirit that can bring a shy artist out of the closet. I told her I was working on something and I wasn't sure if I should finish it. It was a highly emotional piece and I wasn't sure I could ever show it. She asked me: "Does it make you happy?"

The answer for this piece was "No," it makes me sad and angry, because the subject matter is tough and personal. But in the end, when it is complete, yes it does make me happy.

But I understood what she meant. As I struggled that first day with piecing curves, I took that struggle and turned it into piece that I was happy with. I enjoyed that process. And her encouraging words, and careful response to my question made me realize that it is important to help fellow artists along.

In Atlanta, which has more than 4 million residents, there is not an art quilt, fiber art group which is open and welcoming to new members. I've met a few art quilters by happenstance, all loners looking for the same type of group. A few emails to similar groups around the country, and experienced art quilters has resulted in the newly formed Contemporary Quilt and Fiber Arts Alliance (www.caqa.org -- okay don't laugh at the URL, it's temporary). Our first meeting is May 9th and it will be open to anyone interested in creating art with fabric and fiber. This group will welcome all persons, regardless of experience and skill level. We all start somewhere. We are not all going to be award winning artists, or published, or teachers. But we all might like the process of making art and that common thread will hold us together.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is COOL! (Aren't I soooo out-of-date) I finally clicked your links to your favorite artists. Wow, they are so inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Hi Rebecca,
I love your blog - esp. the name!! Congratulations on the birth of your new quilt guild - I know it will be a success! Here is the website of a friend of mine who is also an art quilter:
www.susannequilts.com

I took her "Log Cabin Stew" class - lots of fun.

Looking forward to seeing more of your creations!

Kay said...

I'm glad I discovered your blog. I'm not an art quilter, but I have also struggled to find a group with similar interests. Both the groups I belong to are friendly and basically supportive, but the desire to try new things seems lacking. Thank goodness for the web.

Anonymous said...

I finally read your blog about your three stops. You go girl! What that woman did was so unethical.