Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Power of Art

Here we are at The Cascade's restaurant enjoying a meal together. From left to right: Charlie, Alice, Sharon, Karen, Me and Dorothy (my Aunt).
On Wednesday I made my annual pilgrimage to Nashville to see the AQS Quilt Expo. For the past 5 years I have been meeting my aunt (who lives in Louisville, KY) and my mom (who comes from Carlsbad, CA) in Nashville and we stay at the Opryland Hotel, go to the Expo, shop and look at quilts. This year my mom, who is recovering from shoulder surgery, was not able to join us, so my Aunt and I went to the Expo without her! We missed you mom.

The installation of the quilts at the AQS Quilt Expo was disapointing. Quilts were hung too close together and you just couldn't see them. Some big name quilters submitted works to this show and I think if they saw how their quilts were displayed, they would think twice before submitting work again.

In both photos, viewers are straining to see a quilt.
The quilts were not displayed very well by AQS.

The exhibit which takes the grand prize was Ami Simm's Exhibit, "Alzheimer's: Forgetting Piece by Piece." This is an exhibit of art quilts which interpret Alzheimer's disease in some way.
THE POWER OF ART quilts was evident by the number of people viewing the exhibit, and the many conversations of viewers talking about the exhibit.

Viewers stopped to read artist statements and view the work in the Alzheimer's: Forgetting a Thread at a Time exhibit.
This Exhibit is very moving and I had to view it in three separate sessions it was so emotional. The hostesses for this exhibit were Ami Simms and artists whose quilts were on exhibit. They took the time to talk to viewers and listen to countless stories, as everyone is affected, either directly or indirectly, by this disease.

Viewers take their time as they move through the Alzheimer's: Forgetting Piece by Piece exhibit. It was hard to make it through without becoming overwhelmed by emotion and many people were crying. The quilts and artist statements were very moving.
Another aspect to the discussions among viewers was the curiosity of traditional quilters. They wondered how some of the artists made their quilts. When I explained to one group of traditional quilters that the main feature of the quilt they were looking at was Tyvek, painted, then ironed or burned, they looked at me like I was from outer space. They had no idea what Tyvek was and had never thought to burn something and put it on a quilt -- but they LOVED the results.

Bravo to Ami Simms and everyone who participated in this exhibit. It was excellently installed, the works were fabulous, and the impact was profound, on many levels. I purchased the CD of this exhibit which features pictures of the quilts and a voice over of the quiltmakers telling their stories. I encourage you to find out how you can support this project by visiting Ami Simms website.

3 comments:

Jules said...

I am so glad you had a great time. I read on another blog that the Alzheimers Quilts were the most moving display at the show. Of course, the first time I read her description I was thinking Autism and not Alzheimers. Looking forward to getting together soon.

Jules said...

Hey, I am dying to see what you and Sharon did today.

Jane Ann said...

Hello, Rebecca. I stumbled onto your blog today (I've found it by accident a few times before--I know you are a friend of Jules', aren't you?), and read your review of the Nashville AQS Show. My comment is a little late, but I am very much in agreement with your response. I'm from Nashville and I'm a new quilter. I saw the show 2 years ago (had to miss it last year) and was amazed (it was my first show). I thought maybe I'd lost my enthusiasm or something, because I was not at all impressed with the show OR its installation this year, except as noted in my own blog (http://sewgrand.blogspot.com/2006/08/aqs-nashville-2006.html). The Alzheimer's group was stunning. There were no more CD's left, but I hope there will be some at the AQS museum in Paducah when I visit in a few weeks. Thanks for validating my opinion--I thought I was getting cynical!