Saturday, June 02, 2007

Posting neglect

I have not posted much these days. I have not been very prolific and feel that I have not had much to post. Then I poked around a few of my favorite blogs and realized that not everyone posts finished works. Art is a process and the process of fiber art can be relatively slow. It is all those little things in between finished work that make a blog interesting and feed the art we make. It's part of what I enjoy reading on other blogs, so I'll add a few of my own.

On the third Tuesday of each month, I meet with a fantastic group of fiber artists at Fiber on a Whim. We are working through the Littlejohn and Beaney books. One exercise was to make a tissue paper picture and then take that picture and make it out of fiber. Here is my finished piece. The beading technique I learned in a class at Fiber on a Whim taught by Larkin Van Horn. I love Fiber on a Whim and will have to dedicate an entire post to this one-of-a-kind place.


Drawing inspiration from other activities. I always am rejuvinated and inspired by children. My husband and I have an hour-long program o children's songs and stories. We performed at our daughter's school for Multi-Cultural Arts Day. 40 kids per set, three sets. It was incredible. Children are so open and available to art and music. It truly is inspiring.

On the same day I performed with my husband, I raced to my youngest daughter's school to hear her perform in a Mother's Day concert. She was wonderful.

My 6 year old daughter wanted to make a gift for her teacher. My friend Sharon and I went to Beads by Design and selected some lovely stone beads for Sarah to use. Here she is intently stringing them.

And proudly displaying her nearly finished necklace.


And finally, I recently tye dyed t-shirts with my 4 and 6 year old daughters and a 7 year old friend. The shirts came out fantastic. My husband is a true supporter!! He opened the fridge the morning after and found these bottles of dye where he usually finds his milk.

And now I will get back to my studio and a small project I am working on in the hopes that I finish in time to submit to my traditional quilt guild's show. If you are in the Atlanta area, mark your calendar for September 14-16 and check out the East Cobb Quilt Guild show. I'll be doing demos for Fiber on a Whim and in general hanging out and helping as much as I can.

No comments: