Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Sleep-over Camp for the first time.

Today I delivered my darling eldest daughter to the Girl Scouts for her first ever sleep-over camp. She was nervous and scared -- until she saw the bunk bed assignments and climbed up to where her name was posted. She made her bed, unrolled her sleeping bag, tucked her flashlight under her pillow and turned to me and said:

"You're right Mommy, there's nothing to be scared about."

There were weeks of planning for this summer camp excursion. Making sure the camping list was complete, does she have enough towels, was that enough shampoo? Will she be able to brush the tangles out of her hair? Will the food be okay? Will she be able to sleep without her beloved lullabies?

Ah, but will I be able to sleep?

And then I conjure up the memory of Sarah's words. She's right. There's nothing to be scared about. She'll be okay. She'll have a great time. I'll sleep a bit less without her in the house. I'll be a bit worried. But She will be occupied with swimming, crafts, roasting marshmallows, singing around the campfire and giggling with girlfriends.

2 comments:

Jules said...

And Ed just went to his first sleep over party. He slept out in a tent at the Simmons, and he did fine. I wasn't sure if I should be happy or sad...

QuiltingFitzy said...

You should keep a small journal for her, recording when and where she went and her comments afterward. I think about all the GS camps, etc. that I've been to and they all keep melding to one glob in my brain. Wish my Mom had thought to do that for me! lol