Wednesday, May 31, 2006

From the wilds of South Carolina


Hunting Island is exactly as it is pictured. Wild, full of trees, windy and rustic. We LOVED it.

Our campsite was on the beach. The high tide came within 30 feet of our campsite. It was terrifying and fascinating. Each night we could hear the crashing waves and wondered if the tide would breach our camp. I have never slept so close to the ocean.

We built sand castles, played in the ocean and visited the lighthouse. We grilled out very night and ate like kings.

Hunting Island is full of artistic inspiration. This trip I was determined to only draw in the abstract. This exercise was hard for me, but after a few hours I felt free from the burden of making things look "real" and was actually able to enjoy it.

This week, we will reserve the campsite again for next year. It was that fun.

Post script: I have to share this unbelievable, but true, siting. In the middle and rear sections of the campground, set back from the beach, were hundreds of campers with RV's. Scattered in between were tent campers (as we were). At night, the boom boxes, televisions, and Nintendo games blared through the darkness. Thankfully we could not hear any of this from our oceanfront campsite. On our last evening, my 5 year old daughter and I took a walk through the campgrounds and came across a large screen outdoor projector with twenty people sitting movie-style watching "Big Momma's House." We could hear it from across the campground. I had to wonder what the other campers thought about this. And since there is no ranger supervising the park at night, there was no one to put a stop to the loudness.

We stood and watched for a moment. I was delighted when my daughter asked me: "Mommy why are those people watching a movie instead of singing around the campfire?" I told her I honestly didn't know. And then we walked back to our campsite, sat on the ground, looked at the stars and marveled and their beauty.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything in the From the wilds of South Carolina is beautiful. All of you and the comments from Sarah especially.

Sharon Serrano Ahmed said...

What fun! Perfect, ideal, would love to spend months there, ... if I had my sewing machine, my stuff, and lights to work through the night!!!!! No really, how wonderful to get away from everything and just be there with the people you love.
S.