Sunday, May 07, 2006

The Magic Box

A few weeks ago, Anastasia asked me "Do you know what a magic box is?" My mind instantly leapt to psychology and my favorite explanation of a woman's self esteem.

Our self esteem is a Magic Box which has a green button and a red button. Push the green button and you feel good, about your work, about how you look, your state of physical health, your children, your art, your hair, whatever -- that green button feels good to push -- so push it, push it, push it.

The red button hurts. One too many chocolate kisses, rejection, a sharp tongue, sloppy work. Ouch, too often we zap ourselves for reasons we shouldn't.

If your self esteem were actually a magic black box with those buttons on it, would you hand it to someone else? Would you let them choose when the green or red buttons should be pushed? No way. You would guard it and keep it safe. You would do whatever you could to keep control of that box.

We should guard our self esteem with the same vigor. And we should remember that when we are handed someone else's magic box, it is usually because that person is hoping we will push the green button. Try pushing green buttons more often than red ones.

I recently handed my magic box to a few people in the hopes they would respond to a recently made quilt with their comments -- not that the comments have to be positive, just that acknowledgement of the quilt's existence would have been enough. I am still kicking myself for handing the box over and am trying to figure out a way to get it back. Maybe I'll hand them a diferent box, a decoy and in their distraction I'll snatch my magic box back.

And what was Anastasia talking about?



A Magic Box converts embroidery software so it will be compatible with your machine.

No comments: