Thursday, May 25, 2006

Ladies, I am taking one for the Team!

Tomorrow night at 3:00 am my family is going camping. We are going to Hunting Island, SC. Some call this place Isle of Palms. But we think of it as Hunting Island. It was once a hunting preserve for the wealthy Charlestons.


It reminds me of Robinson Crusoe. It is beautiful and rustic, featuring palm trees, live oaks, palmetto and other vegetation. It is known for excellent bird watching. We plan to swim, build sandcastles, explore, play and sing. In the heat of the midday sun, everyone will find shade.


But mostly we will be together and we will be a family. A family without the daily distractions of the computer, phone, bills to pay, laundry to wash, fold and put away, errands to run and obligations to fulfill. There will be no pressure to take a daily shower and fix our hair, or to dress for dinner. Just a bathing suit and coverup, a big hat and a pair of sandals. Oh yea, don't forget the sunscreen.

My studio which has remained dark this week, will continue to gather a layer of dust. But I will return with an overflowing sketchbook and renewed energy to dedicate to the pursuit of new ideas.

2 comments:

Jules said...

Have a blast. I almost envy you. We used to camp as kids, and I miss it. Dave would never go for it.

I must stay on another part of Isle of Palms. We have running water, kitchen, washing machine...

Congrats on getting through your first year of elementary school!

Deb Hardman said...

It sounds absolutely wonderful! I love camping, but can't go now because of the 92 yr old aunt living with us.