Monday, December 11, 2006

The $72 Dollar Sweatshirt and how to waste an afternoon

My daughter has a standing playdate with her friend every Monday afternoon. Today, I knew I needed a craft activity to top the one they did at the friend's house last week.

Oh, I know, a little sweatshirt. I'll let them pick the picture and the fabric, I'll fuse and cut, they lay out, they can iron with supervision and I'll sew around the edges.

Only I needed a sweatshirt. And a red one since I was hoping for a Christmas theme. Off to Target, KMart, Big Lots, Kohl's, and Value City. No red sweatshirts. How can this be? It's December for goodness' sake, no red sweatshirts?

I resorted to the last resort, the place I hate most on this planet -- the dreaded Wal-Mart.

$72 later, I had three PINK sweatshirts (even WalMart didn't have red), some leggings for Sarah, a roll of parchment paper, a black turtleneck and a bottle of hand lotion.
Turns out the girls didn't really want to make sweatshirts.
Imagine that -- they just wanted to PLAY.

I can't believe I did it again! It's like being an ex-smoker (which I am). No matter how long you've been off cigarettes, just one puff and POOF you're hooked again. One step inside the doors of WalMart and POOF. . .

2 comments:

Jules said...

And think of how close I live to Wal Mart... By the way, their soda sales are a joke. The soda is all about to go out of date. Ask me how I know!!!

The sweatshirt is adorable, though. I'll wear one, on navy.

Lynne said...

I liked your work in Altered Coutour, Thanks! JoAnn's has lots of red sweatshirts...I never go to Walmart! Lynne in Hillsboro, Oregon