Saturday, June 10, 2006

A Delightful Surprise at the Chattahoochee Evening Stars Quilt Show

While visiting the Chatahootchie Evening Stars quilt show today, I found a delightful surprise. At the end of a row of very traditional quilts was this art quilt made by 11 year old Emily Evans.

"Myself, My First Quilt" Emily Evans
Two years ago I saw my mom spending all her time working on a big quilt. I wanted to learn to quilt, so my mom told me to use her scraps and design a quilt. The pieces on this top were glued on the fabric for 2 years. Finally, my mom showed me how to use the machine to applique it. I sued the decorative stitches on her sewing machine. This is my first quilt.


Isn't the composition lovely? Some things just come naturally. Today it hung at the show. I had the pleasure of meeting this budding young fiber artist, and she is a delight.

3 comments:

Deb Hardman said...

Very cute. I love it when kids quilt!

Jules said...

That is really a sweet quilt.

Elle said...

That is great!! A kid sewing is such a rare sight that it's even cooler when you see one exhibited like that.