Thursday, June 08, 2006

Liqui-Fuse to the Rescue

Summer is tough for kids who are used to their mommy doing all the "work of the family" while they are in school. Today I dragged the girls on three errands, but they are good girls and went along with only a mild whine.

One of the stops was to purchase more Wonder Under. On the way to the bolts of Wonder Under, I got distracted by fabric, and then two yards later we were out the door -- without the Wonder Under.

After putting the girls to bed, I continued working on Sally Sells Sea Shells and guess what? I ran out of Wonder Under.

In recent weeks there was some discussion and several recommendations for Liqui-Fuse on quitart.com. When I was in Michaels a week ago I picked up a bottle for future testing. Tonight was the night.


Terry Grant was the original poster on LiquiFuse and she has an excellent tutorial on her blog www.andsewitgoes.blogspot.com.

I am a bit sloppy and always in a hurry, so running a bead of Liqui-Fuse around the edges wasn't working for me. I got out one of the girls paintbrushes, dipped it in water, used the cap of the Liqui-Fuse as my palette and dipped the brush in. Voila. A nicely filled brush of diluted Liqui-Fuse. Then I spread it on the area I wished to fuse.

Before I could finish, the Liqui-Fuse had dried and let me tell you -- when you press it with an iron, it is fused. And it does leave a nice hand to the fabric. Soft and pliable and not heavy. I love it!

The members of Quiltart.com are always so generous with their techniques and information. It is the best resource. If you know a quilter who does NOT know about Quiltart.com, tell her. It will be the nicest thing you ever do!

1 comment:

Kay said...

Thanks for this post,too. Especially the part about the paint brush. All this liquid stuff is so hard to dispense, so here's and alternative.