Tuesday, January 15, 2008

#11 Leaf Collage

#11 - Leaf Collage
Since starting this daily 5 x 7 project my sketches in my sketchbook have radically changed. I usually go for new imagery every time. But now, I've sketched this leaf design in about 50 different ways. I don't think I'll execute all fifty, lest I bore viewers to death, but I'll do a few more in exploring the possibilities with one image. I'm having fun -- and executing art daily is making me FEEL more like an artist. But looking at my posts, I'm not feeling like much of a photographer, I've got to do something about that.

This piece is made with fabric and scrim that I dyed while at the Focus on Fiber retreat at the Atlantic Center for the Arts last Spring. I was under the influence of Sharon Serrano Ahmed and Rosemary Claus-Gray when I thought I'd actually use scrim and dyed it. Now after hanging on to it for 10 months, I see it has possibilities for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Becca, I'm LOVING the leaves!! What a great idea to let the mind wander through a forest (sorry, I had to say it) of images and textures and colors and bring these images to life. And the daily exercise of creating is an inspiration to us all. Margaret