Thursday, January 17, 2008

On Making Art

Now comes the time that I have to decide what counts as a 5 x 7? Does work in progress count? I love making the daily 5 x 7's, but when I am in the middle of a creative burst, I don't want to pause and make a 5 x 7.

Yesterday I spent the entire day with a sick 4 year old who needed mommy to be at full attention, so nothing was done in the studio. Today was my birthday and Joel came home early so I could work in the studio. (Did I mention how incredibly lucky I am to have such a supportive spouse?) And that work was done on a piece for a jacket I'm working on.

Now you can either stop reading here and go on to random select and read another blog, or you can hang in there and read to the end. . .

See how funny the face looks without the details? She looks like an alien.


Now with hair.


And now with facial details stitched in.


Anyway, this is much bigger than 5 x 7, so I'll post it, but won't count it as part of my daily 5 x 7 challenge.

The thoughts that come to mind today are related to what I have accomplished so far in my life and what it all means. What am I? What do I want to be? In the end, the push to make art daily makes me an artist and not a wanna be. It doesn't matter if the world does not acknowledge my art, or buy it, or publish it, or even think it is "good." What matters is that I make the art. Good art, BAD art. We all make bad art. How many are brave enough to show it?

So, I started over and redrew the face. Now she looks more like her self-portraits, which is how people think she looks anyway. And who is she? Frieda Kahlo.


One last paragraph: Yesterday is snowed in Atlanta. The last measurable snow I can remember was three years ago. The flakes came down big and fluffy. It was glorious. My oldest daughter went out to play in the snow until it was way past dark. The younger (and sick) daughter went out for five minutes and came back in, exhausted, but glad she didn't miss it.
The snow is gone now, except for the large snowball which we have in the freezer.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Our kids were out in it past 10. So they were grumpy the next day, they got to play in the snow!

Happy Birthday!

Hey I think it is snowing again!